Thursday, March 8, 2012

One week after surgery

It's been a couple of days since I posted... mainly due to drugs and sleeping. I am staying at Mom's right now, and can I just say... I miss my house. I love being with mom and being taken care of, but I miss my bright colored walls, my light and airy kitchen, watching my cats sleep on their tree in the sun beams. I Miss my dogs. Mostly... I miss my wife.

I miss snuggling in the bed and watching Harry Potter for the millionth time. I miss coffee in the morning while we read the news. I miss laughing while we make dinner. I miss her presence in the house. It's hard to rest here because Michele is at home or at work and I am away from all the familiar stuff that make up my home. So, I take my pills and I sleep all day. I wait impatiently for these freakin drains to be removed.

The drains... Let me tell you about these things. When they let me out of the hospital, I had this horrible surgery bra on with these three drains and tubes pinned to it. I have to dump them and measure their output daily. Okay... ICK! The bra lasted until yesterday when I could not take it another second. I felt constrained, like I couldn't take a deep breath. The elastic rubbed my skin raw. The padding inside it itched like crazy. Finally, I pulled it off. Oh what a relief! Now I had to find a way to cover the stitches and keep the entry holes covered. After a couple of experiments, I have everything bandaged and I went to put the evil bra back on. But first.... I looked at the size. It was a large... for women 38-40.  Ummmm.... that explains a lot.

I am a big girl. I am not ashamed of it. I come from a long line of big beautiful women. My bra size, since I was 35 was between 42d and 44d. No wonder that bra was killing me. Two to four inches make a HUGE difference. Ask anyone... size matters. So until I can go buy a bra for this, I rigged up one with scarves. Now I look like some crazed gypsy woman with scarves on my head, scarves wrapped around my breast scars and two  scarves holding up my drainage bulbs. I am a real fashion plate. I will have to have someone get a picture of me.

Happy thoughts for the day... I love my mom. And I am so glad that she and her boyfriend have gotten back together. It's nice to see her happy again. I love having him here (and not just because he is a good cook).

1 comment: