Monday, March 5, 2012

Let me tell you the ways...

Today is a day of good news and bad news. The good news... We got clean margins, so we don't have to go take any more skin. The cancer is no longer able to be found in any skin samples. The bad news... it is still in my lymph nodes. She is waiting for one more test to come back, but it looks like radiation is the last chance we have to get rid of it. I jokingly asked her if I can be assurred of at least two more years and she said she can't promise anything.

Funny... I am actually kinda comforted by the news I got. I mean.. no... I am not cancer free, but I know that it is still treatable, and as long as there is a slim chance, I am taking it. My poor wife... I can tell she is not as happy as I am about this, but again... In October I had stage IV cancer. Today I still have it, but it looks manageable. Every day for me has been a gift, and what I heard from my doctor was that I still have gifts coming. That I will have more sunrises. That I will have more hugs. That I have another chance to tell someone how much I love them.

So again... bear with me while I get kinda sappy. I am going to name some names here, and From now on, I want to end each post with a different love note. Since I have already waxed eloquent over my mom and my wife, I am going to start with some odd ones.

Michelle D....  Since I just got a hug from you yesterday, you get the first one.I love the way you open your heart to strangers and care about people even when you had a bad experience. I appreciate every email you send to check on me and that big hug you give when you see me.
Dustin D and Eric... Your smile today brightened my day up. I love the way you opened up to me and trusted me from day one. I love your energy and your love for eachother. You remind me of Michele and I when we were young.
Kelly and your sweetie who also gave me big hugs yesterday... you know how much of a help you have been through the years. Your bravery over the last couple of years has been inspirational. I always appreciate and value your opinion over many others.
My Biggest I love yous for today have to go to my dance family. Marlinda, Myra, Pat, Kelly, Rosalie, Kristy, Robbie, Nick, Jason, Bob, Adrienne, Maureen, Emily and Joyce ( and geezz... everyone at Fred Astaire Charlotte and Pinehurst too) accepted Michele and I from the beginning, making us feel welcome at the dance studio, then making us feel welcome into their lives. Anything we ever needed, They were right there. They always made us feel loved and welcomed. They made me feel like a little sister, a best friend and a beloved daughter all in one. I never expected to walk into that studio and find a family... but I did and for that I thank God every day.

I need to say... I already embarrassed a couple of people with my I love yous over the phone... but you better get used to it. Cancer taught me a big lesson... don't save I love you for another day. Don't wait to say it... say it now!

No comments:

Post a Comment