Thursday, March 8, 2012

Ode to my Hairdresser

You know... I have mentioned my hairdresser several times here and in thinking about what she does and how important a role she plays in women's lives, I want to talk a bit about our roles in peoples lives.

Marlinda, my hairdresser, cuts hair. But that isn't all she does. No... your hairdresser is the woman who starts out as someone who does a service and becomes someone who you can't live without. She (or he) is your therapist who listens as you talk about your hopes, your fears, your family, your plans. She is a magician who transforms you into the vision you have of yourself. She is the friend who knows all your secrets, who laughs with you, who cries with you, who does her best to send you out into the world as the best You that there is.When your hairdresser leaves, there is a feeling of loss, especially if you can't go with her wherever she goes. You never realize until that moment how important she is.

One of the things I have learned from Marlinda is how many times she has been the one to help cancer patients with that horrible first step... the haircut. I never really thought about it before, but she is like a first responder. She is where the scary part of the cancer starts. She has to be strong as she cuts off the hair of these women, knowing that for some of them it might be the last time they ever visit her shop. She gets to celebrate with the rest when they come in with their new hair, changed by chemo. For women facing cancer, their hairdresser is probably one of the people who make it all real... like the cancer hits home when you look at your shaved head the first time. How strong and courageous these men and women who wield their clippers are, laughing with us and putting on their best performance to assure us that it will grow back before we know it.

Thinking about this made me realize how important all the members of the beauty profession are in the fight against breast cancer. These professionals know more about us than their doctors do, and usually they know first if something is different or odd. After all... we rarely go to the doctor until we have to, but we see these professionals at least once a month. So... I am calling on all my friends in the beauty industry for a favor. Educate your clients. You don't necessarily have to talk to them about it in specific, but encourage them to seek help if they mention any warning signs. Let a breast cancer awareness group leave some pamphlets in your waiting area. Encourage your clients who are cutting off their long hair to donate it. And remember that when your client comes in for that terrible buzzcut... we are all praying to be back in that chair again real soon.

I also work in an industry where we are among the first to know, but unlike your hairdresser, or your manicurist or any of the other workers in the beauty industry, I will see the patient through the whole thing. I become a part of their therapy. For me, I am lucky... My hairdresser is a close friend who has been with me through the whole thing, and I can't wait till she sees this bushy mess that is finally starting to grow back in. I may just have to go see her just to show her my peach fuzz..

Again... in my long winded way... my point is... we all have a job description, but that description never really seems to cover everything we do. That girl who sells you your morning coffee is the first smiling face you see before you head out to work. She brightens your day with a smile and jokes with you when your routine changes. Sometimes you stand and talk a little. She gradually becomes in a small way important. I think we all need to look at our day and start thanking the people who are important in little ways, and then remember that we are also important in the lives of people we never realized. (My wife said it took her an hour to get out of my store today because the customers and employees were all curious about my health... see how important the local store manager is?)

And by the way... Don't forget... tips are always welcome, big tips are awesome, and big tips that come with a hug and heartfelt thank you make a us all remember why we got into these professions.

No comments:

Post a Comment