Tuesday, March 27, 2012

All about the animals

 Well... I still have one drain in and we are going on one month now since surgery. I am almost afraid to have it removed, as the areas where the other two drains were located are slowly refilling with fluid. But I am getting used to having this thing attached to me. It hurts sometimes, but mostly I notice it when dealing with my pets.

Michele and I have a number of pets- all rescues. First there is Sam, our oldest cat. She is 19 years old. Sam is my baby. When I am home, she is glued to my lap the second I sit down. Ever since my diagnosis, Sam and I have clocked some serious sitting and cuddling time. She has learned to avoid the tubes every since the first time she got her foot stuck, stretched and found herself catapulted out of my lap as I screamed and jumped around the table in pain.

Next in age is Cleopatra, my 12 yr old chow mix. She is too short to reach any of my sore parts, but creates issues for me because she has become incontinent. Last thing a sick person needs is to be constantly mopping up dog pee, but she can't help it. I did learn from this daily mopping exactly how much you really use your chest muscles when you mop.

Then there is Psycho Kitty, AKA Picasso, at age 7. The name says a great deal. We see her only when she wants to be fed, and sometimes when she has her crazy on and is running down the hall chasing aliens. Nothing in her life has changed. I honestly don't think she even realizes that humans are not just some figment of her little psychotic brain, because the looks she gives us are the same look she has when she is chasing those invisible aliens.

Makuna rounds out the indoor kitty collection at age 3. She is a Maine Coon and lucky for us, she is small for her breed. At over three feet in length from nose to tail tip, Mac has had to earn that I am no longer able to let her use me for a jungle gym. She can't knead at my chest, walk on my shoulders, or sleep on me in bed. Weighing in at over 10lbs, I can't lift her with my right arm, so her cuddle time is limited. Poor neglected baby.

Boston
Buddy
Then come my boys, Boston and Buddy (3 and 2 yrs old). They have been the funniest part of my illness. They were protective to begin with, but when I started Chemo, both became obsessed with protecting me. When I came home with the drains, it just got worse. They can smell the blood and it has them both very upset. Obviously, Mommy is hurt, but we can't see where, or who did it, so NO ONE is allowed to be near Mommy. Not Michele. Not Cleo. No one is allowed near me. So we are not allowing visitors to the house. Also, the boys are wild with Michele, jumping, running and just being the active dogs they are. With me... I hold my hand up and say no... they settle as much as two terrier breeds can settle. But they create unique challenges too. I can't walk them on a leash, because I don't have the strength right now to control them. Putting them out on tie out chains is just as much fun though because in their excitement, they pull away as I am trying to put the lead on them. Yep... Bully breeds can be a great upper body work out.

But regardless of how much work they create, they have been a blessing. I feel their love and concern every day. I watch them as they learn how to interact with me without hurting me. I love how they comfort me and protect me. If you ever wondered if there is some greater power in this world, look into your pets eyes. That constant love and forgiveness is all the proof I ever need.

No comments:

Post a Comment