Friday, February 24, 2012

Losing your hair or gaining more face?


me sleeping through chemo
Okay... so I have short hair for about two weeks. The hair loss started out of nowhere. I was at work, on a conference call, when I ran my hand through my hair and came out with a handful of hair. Not just a few strands, but a handful. The second the call was over, I called my hairdresser and she told me to come in that night. We shaved my hair down to just a fuzz all over my head.  My loving wife shaved her head too.

Now at this point I am not bald, but I may as well be. As the hair that was left continued to fall out, we realized that the hair was not falling out evenly, but in patches. Strangely, the patches seemed to form a map of the world on my head. We named each patch after the continent it resembled and we watched as they shrank. The last continent standing was Australia, which hung on right on the front of my head for a month.

Strangely, I didn't cry much when they said breast cancer. I didn't cry much when we discussed my cancer plan of radiation, chemo and surgery. But when that last patch of hair slowly disappeared, I cried and cried. It was real. I really have cancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment