Saturday, February 25, 2012

Christmas and Chemo

When I started Chemo, my doctor told me many people continue to work all the way through their treatments. This was great news for me, as my chemo schedule took me right into the busiest time of the year for my job- Christmas.

Christmas in retail is a nightmare. Anyone who has ever worked retail can tell you that the reason for the season, namely the birth of Christ, is buried by the commercialization and rampant greed of the public. I am not going to go on a rant here, but I do want to say that having cancer seemed to clear my head this particular holiday season. By this point, all of my hair was gone, and it's hard for a customer to yell at someone about anything as stupid as being out of stock on a toy when that person is bald and wearing reindeer antlers.

On top of all of this, Michele had been throwing up a great deal. We thought it was stress, so we made a doctors appointment for her. Lucky us... it was gallstones. So now she has to have surgery the week before Christmas. Sometimes I wonder about God's sense of humor. The good thing is that this surgery is outpatient and relatively easy on the body. Two small incisions and they suck the gall bladder out. She was healed enough to be back to normal by Christmas day. I told her she was just jealous of all the attention I was getting. She didn't think I was very funny. At any rate, we made it through Christmas without me having to miss any work, and she was now able to eat normal food again. Thank God!

No comments:

Post a Comment