Friday, February 24, 2012

Life before the big C

You know, you never wake up and think that today is the day that your life is about to change permanently. You get up, you have you coffee, you read the news, or check your Facebook page. You go to work, come home, have some family time, eat dinner and go to bed. Then one day something happens and the whole world turns upside down.

But I am getting a bit ahead of myself here. First let me tell you about the family L. We are what would be classed a lower middle class blue collar lesbian family. Just me, my wife and our son. I work retail management, she goes to school full time and works part time at a convenience store. Our son is away at college in Pennsylvania. We do all the things most families do. We go to work. We pay our bills (sometimes not quite when the company would like, but they get paid). We do housework on our days off. We go dancing on Friday nights at Fred Astaire studio.We go out to dinner with friends, attend wine tastings, beer tastings and anything that involves good food, like the taste of Charlotte festival. We rescue stray animals, so I guess I should have included them in the family list since no one can convince them they aren't people too. I do photography. We are avid readers. We like to visit museums, especially Discovery Place. We go to church on Sunday. Just your boring average family.  Sometimes we have arguments over the usual stuff like money, our son, or whose turn it is to empty the litter boxes. See... nothing special.

Micki and I have been together almost 20 years. We are long past the wild passionate part of life, but that's not to say we aren't still crazy about each other. I love the early morning coffee time when she hasn't yet brushed out her curls and they are all wild on her head, kinda like Lyle Lovett. She likes the fact that the second my eyes open I get up and start singing what she calls my morning song. (I have to say good morning to every cat and dog as I set up food bowls, refill water and take them out in shifts to go potty) On Friday night, we get dressed up and head to the studio to dance. I love dancing with Micki, but so does every other woman at the studio, so we save certain dances for each other, like the Rumba. I love east coast swing, and the more energetic my partner, the better, so dance a lot with the young students who are just learning and who want to try new moves. We laugh a lot as we mess up the steps and try again.

I just turned 40 this year. For me, I was excited. I know it seems strange, but my plan has always been to be that crazy cat lady who wears big ugly hats, plants lots of flowers in her yard and has about 40 cats underfoot. Not to say that I am the delicate sort... I am actually a big do-it-yourself kinda gal. When I wanted new floors in my house because 4 dogs were just too much for the carpet, I put in the new laminate flooring myself. I am also very outdoorsy. I love camping, hiking, gardening or just sitting outside with a book getting slobbered on by the dogs as the bring me their ball to throw. I have only been sick once in the past 10 years, and that was the flu. Obviously, I never suspected that deep inside me was something fatal.

No comments:

Post a Comment