Wednesday, July 24, 2013

The procedure

Yeah... If you were brave and watched that last video... more power to you. I haven't, and you know what?... I am not going to. I won't even let Michele tell me much about what happened.  Instead, I will tell you what I do know.

After all the tests were done and I was placed in my room, I met with the team of 4 doctors who were making the decisions on my behalf. They explain my choices (not many), the possible outcome and the consequences of inaction.  I decide to go through with the chest tube vs. thoracentesis

Tuesday begins with the procedure. I am first given 8mg of Dilaudad.  This is something I don't like. Why... I don't know, but my last coherent thought was me telling Michele I hated the way this made me feel, and never wanted to experience this again. When I finally wake up, I am wearing different jammies and I now have a tube coming out of my chest on the right and my port accessed on the left. The tube stays in until it slows down draining. I am informed that I am currently on my 3rd vac seal container. They have already drained over 3 liters of fluid from that cavity.  I am terribly sore, still can't breathe and need many more drugs.

The next day, they leave me to drain. I ask how much longer, and I am told they are going to be doing something (they explained it, but after all the drugs they have done to me... I don't follow). Just relax.

Thursday they come back with that horrible drug, and the next thing I know, I am in the room alone trying to get to the bathroom. They brought me a portable potty.

Friday they bring that bad drug and again... I come to and I am wandering the room, trying to clean things up.

Saturday night, the doctor shows up late and YANKS the tube out.

Sunday, doctors check in on me, I sleep a lot and we discuss me leaving.

Monday I go home. I now have two whole new pages of scripts, a nebulizer coming, four doctors appointments, and I still can't return to work because I have a hole in my chest.

I will elaborate later.

No comments:

Post a Comment