Monday, July 15, 2013

Prepping is my family's hobby

You know that show on tv about Preppers? Well... even though we own no tv, out house is the home of two (sometimes three) Preppers as they are called. Most of those people on the show are preparing for civil disobedience.  Some are getting ready for all out natural disasters. And some I think just do it because they are kind of crazy.  Then there is my family.

Two years ago (almost), when I was diagnosed, my wife started on this kick about doing the Bug out bags. Makes sense when you think about it. Everyone needs to be prepared in case of floods, tornado's, and random zombie incursions. As I got sicker, the bug out bags became whole survival kits, complete with car kit, food and weapons. My thought is, if it makes her happy, then I am all for it, even when it becomes a giant box on wheels that takes up the whole back of the SUV. See... if zombies attack... we are ready to get to high ground. We have food for months and whats more, I have saved every medicine that I have not had to finish just in case.

But then there is my version of prepping. While she is worried about keeping us alive and well, I am prepping for an easy transition from active, ambulatory life to a not so active, wheelchair and/or bed-bound life.  Those of you who are friends with me on FB know that we have been working on moving our bedroom. Many reasons behind this move, of course. One, it puts us closer to an exit in case of fire or medical emergency. Two, the room was wired by my brother in law when he lived here, so  it is set up to hold more electronic gadgets than NASA. That way, when Hospice is eventually called in, we have places to plug things. Our Current room has hers and hers outlets (one for me, one for her).  Three, we had to get rid of the sleigh bed. It's too high for wheelchair access, and can't be easily accessed from all sides due to the rails.

So, we picked the bed from Ikea. It is accessible from all sides, has storage for medical needs underneath and is pretty, in a basic kind of way.  I already have a recliner I bought from Habitat for Humanity in the room, and this room, unlike the rest of the house, actually has closets!

You know... you buy an old house and you never realize what you take for granted... like closets. Either they wore a lot fewer clothes, or they didn't mind having rooms crowded with furniture to store things in the Twenties.So we also bought new shorter dressers that will fit in the closet. That way, we can hand pants and shirts above the dressers, and put socks and such in the drawers. This frees up space in the room.

Another bonus is more windows. I am excited to think I can lay in bed and look out at the birds and stuff, so i just ordered a bunch of DIY wind chimes and sun catchers to hang on the porch where I can see them from my bed. Next I think I want one of those Tibetan prayer flag things to hang out there. It's pretty and every prayer helps, you know. Plus maybe some Chinese lanterns that light up to hang around the porch. I may end up with the most colorful porch in the neighborhood, but if it makes me happy.... so what!

No comments:

Post a Comment