Saturday, June 23, 2012

Butter and the cookie monster

I had to post these two short stories separate. You'll understand when you read it.

I had two major chemo brain incidents while in NY. The first was the day we got there.  It is otherwise known as the attack of the cookie monster.

We went to the first viewing, and while we were outside, a woman came up with a plate of cookies. I know I have met her before, but for the life of me, I can't place her. She goes inside, then comes back to tell me to make sure the cookies go where everyone is after the service. I make it a point to not forget the cookies. So after the service, I took the cookies with us to Tara's house, where Dad's family is gathered. Turns out that the woman was actually one of her mom's relatives and I was supposed to get the cookies to that side of the family. I am now a cookie thief. I have misappropriated the cookies.

The second is what I will call The Butter Incident.

After the services, we went to dinner with the family at a country club. I got my plate, my roll and a pat of butter. I sat down, buttered the roll and started eating. Of course, we are at a table filled with the younger cousins, so there is a lot of conversation. I went to butter my roll and realized the butter was missing. I could have sworn I picked up butter. What did I do with it? I was looking all around my plate and someone asked what I was looking for. So I explained I had misplaced the butter. Then I noticed the roll... it was already cut open... don't tell me... I lifted the top and it was buttered. So I started laughing. Of course now everyone wants to know what is so funny. I explain what I just did. Meanwhile, Michele thinks I just wanted more butter, so while I was explaining what was so funny, she dropped a pat of butter on the plate. I turn back to the plate and THERE IS THE BUTTER!!!!! Oh My GOOODDDD!!! I KNEW I had picked up butter. And Of course, I have already forgotten that I buttered the roll. I am honestly startled by the sudden reappearance of my missing butter and I say so loudly and emphatically, to which the whole table begins laughing. They had all seen Michele put the butter on my plate and thought I had seen it too. I pick up my roll and once again discover it is already buttered... wait... then whose butter is that on the plate?

Michele said the look on my face was priceless. And I may never live it down... in fact... the next day, her cousin gave me a whole stick of butter of my very own...

3 comments:

  1. I love you, Dawyn! You're the best! & who cares if you "stole" the cookies. It wasn't specified where they were going, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Well... Not exactly... and sadly, I would have forgotten if I had been told anyhow. Of course... I did eat most of them myself, but that was only because I forgot I had already eaten some, so I ate more.

    ReplyDelete