Friday, March 22, 2013

Vacation!

I have been on vacation, of sorts, this week. It was time for my check-up scans and I needed some time to recover from the horrible Xeloda foot thing, so I haven't actually done any vacation type things. I mean.... I didn't go anywhere but mom's house, home and the doctor's office. But still, it has been nice to not really do anything much.


For the first time, I had a CT scan with barium sulfate. For those of you who have not yet experienced this great pleasure... lemme tell you. My oncologist office offers three flavors: Vanilla, Banana and Berry. I have learned from my experiences with protein drink mixes, Boost and Ensure that vanilla flavor is about as far from vanilla as... well anything. It's more like what you imagine chalk would taste like. And Berry... Well, berry flavored is purely subjective. I mean, exactly which berry is it supposed to be? I love strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and even elderberries... but mixed berry never really tastes like any particular berry at all. So of course I picked banana. After all, bananas are kinda bland and don't really leave any residual flavor in your mouth, so a banana flavored drink must be safe, right?  You need only look at my face to know what it tasted like. And you can't drink anything else to get the taste out of your mouth. So I drink half at 8:15 and half at 9, then head to the Dr's office where they gave me more. Only this time... it was Berry! I wasn't expecting berry. I was not mentally prepared for the confusion that comes with berry. I took my first sip and went "Oh Jesus! What is this???" The nurse told me berry flavor very sweetly. I said okay... I just wasn't expecting it. And I held my nose and chugged it down.

I like the CT scan. Well maybe like it isn't exactly what I mean. When it comes to scans, this one is probably the one I prefer. It's quick, they can use my port instead of my hand or arm, and the machine talks to you. It's a very comforting female voice that says "Breathe in... Hold it.... Breathe out". Much better than the MRI which clanks and whirs and slams and makes you feel like you are being swallowed by a whale. What I am not wild about with the CT scan is having to keep my arms over my head. Maybe if they had some handles or something I could use to grip it would be easier, because anyone who has Lymphedema can tell you, holding your arms over your head for 15 minutes is not comfy. But I love the lady who administers it. She is funny and gentle and asks whether you want to use your port or your arm, do you want me to freeze the spot, are you comfortable... she just seems to care a lot, and that means so much.

Actually... I have really enjoyed all but one of the people who administered my tests. The one I was not so wild about gave me my very first echocardiogram. I still had both breasts. One was sore from the port surgery I had just had, the other was the one with the tumor, and the biopsy sites, and the incision where they removed my skin to test for IBC. I was in pain, I was scared and I had up until then, never had any serious medical problems. The tech was brusque, not very talkative, and was considerably less than gentle with that wand. The tech actually made me scared of going for my next echo. Imagine my surprise when the next tech who did the echo didn't hurt me by jabbing me so hard under my ribs, or pressing so hard on my sides. The next tech made me laugh, told me what I was seeing on the screen, explained the different angles. Now a trip to get my heart checked is not something I dread... I actually look forward to it.

So... I have a friend who is becoming a nurse. She is funny and warm and caring. She is also professional, straightforward and will work her butt off to take care of you. I know this because she used to work with me as a pharmacy technician. I have seen her with patients. I have seen how she treats each one like they are the most important person there. I have heard her on the phone with insurance companies, fighting for her patients ( I was one of those patients). While I hate to lose her from my company, the thought that she is soon going to be taking all that warmth and concern (and yes, even that snappy temper when the insurance companies act stupid) and become a nurse excites me. Nurses are so important to patients. Yes... we depend on the Doctor to make us healthy, but it is the nurses we interact with most. They are the ones who have to stick us with needles, who have to deal with our files, and who have to be our go between with the doctor, the pharmacy and the insurance. They are the ones who touch you gently on the head as they change out one bag of chemo meds for the next bag. They are the ones who tuck you back in when you have to get up and go potty with your pole. They pick up your bear when you drop it in your chemo slumber. They wake you up as gently as they can when they remove the needle from your chest at the end of your treatment. Nurses are like temporary mommies taking care of their sick brood. How they do it, I don't know... but I am thankful for them every day. And to my friend who is going to school.... I still think you would be the best oncology nurse ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment