Saturday, August 3, 2013

My Best Friend's folks

My best friend's mom has the Big C. She is also stage 4. Unfortunately, her situation is more advanced than mine, and they are calling in Hospice. Is there anything more frightening for a terminally ill person to hear than those words? Calling in Hospice means your limited days are even more limited. Yes, Hospice is a great help, and we are all grateful for what they do, but still. I feel so horrible for her mom and her whole family. Wasn't it just yesterday that I met that crazy little woman when I came to visit her with my new college room mate? How could 23 years have passed so quickly?

I worry about my bestie, but truthfully, I worry about her dad most of all. I adore that man. The first time I spent any time with him was when we were going to a family reunion and we sat in the back seat of the car. He spent half the trip poking me like an annoying little brother, then denying the whole thing. He laughs a lot. He has a big heart and a big sense of humor and a huge worship of his wife. How is he going to survive? I know he is an active man, but even so... how will he continue to do what he does when the other half of his comedy routine is no longer there to be his straight man, as it were.

Of course that takes me back to thinking about my other half. I know she wonders the same things about herself. How does one go on when half of your soul is missing?

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful Daywn...I have no way to truly understand those emotions, only to say I felt them in my heart for you and your friend. Love you.Kelly and kevin. .

    ReplyDelete