Thursday, April 12, 2012

A week of Blessings

The last couple of weeks have been some of the best since I was diagnosed. With all of the great things that have happened lately, it has been hard to say what exactly was the best of the best, so we will just start from the beginning.

I had that really bad visit with the radiologist. Mind you, he was not my doctor, but was a doctor at the clinic who had been handed my file that morning because my regualr doctor had an emergency to deal with. He scared the crap out of me, I won't lie... but we had another PET scan. The results came back. Bear with me while I quote:
" PET CT scan was performed from the skull bas to the mid thighs. No abnormal metabolic activity in the supraclavicular neck. Left chest wall Port A Cath is seen in place. Post surgical changes status post right mastectomy. Postsurgical changes post right axillary node dissection. I do not identify any abnormal metabolic activity at these sites. No abnormal metabolic activity is identified within the abdomen or pelvis. No abnormal aortic aneurysm, No bowel obstruction or interperitoneal free air. Review of the CT lung windows does not reveal any suspicious pulmonary masslesions. No Pleural effusions. small amount of bilateral lower lobe linear atelectasis. IMPRESSION: Post surgical changes status post right mastectomy and right axillary node dissection. No abnormal metabolic activity to suggest residual or metastatic breast carcinoma."

I know... what the heck does that mean?... well... it means that the radiologist was wrong. Yes... I still have cancer, but I am not dying any time soon. My doctors are all very happy with the scans. So we started Radiation two days ago.

Doofy me, I burned myself with a heating pad. It's really gross. But everyone needs to be proud of me. I went to the doctor without being forced to do it and I am treating it just like I am supposed to. Second degree burns, right in the area where I am being radiated. All I can say is thank goodness I can't feel anything in the area where I did it because that is right where the mastectomy scars are. Yep... mastectomy scars, second degree burns and radiation all in the same spot... Could I possibly make things any harder on myself?

Me and My sister
My sister came to visit. It was so awesome having her here with me. My poor sister is battling her own health issues, so we both sat around and chattered, ate junk and did arts and crafts with mom. Mom taught her how to cross stitch. We went to the mummy exhibit at discovery place and played with all the interactive exhibits. It made me miss all the time we lost being sisters growing up, especially when we were up in bed still talking long after mom sent us to bed. I kept expecting her to come down the hall to ground us. I miss her so much when she is away. When she is here, I just can't seem to contain how happy I am just to sit with her, even if we are just reading in the sun. Thank you so much, God, for letting me find her again. I never realized how much love I would feel for my sister until I found her again, and now every time I think of her, I just can't believe how lucky I am that she is my sister.

Me and my sister at Discovery Place
Michele and I went to the movies yesterday. Do you know... for two whole hours, I didn't even once think about cancer. For two hours, I sat in the theatre, eating popcorn and candy, snuggled up to my sweetie and was just a girl out on a date with the person she loves most in the world. It wasn't for a whole hour afterwards that I started to cry ( not sad tears... happy ones) because for the past week, I have had so many times that I forgot completely about the Big C. One more reason to give thanks.


Thank you so much God, for this wonderful week. Thank you for all my blessings. Thank you for every day (even the bad ones... but You know... I prefer the happy ones... just sayin'). I am truly blessed

1 comment:

  1. So happy to hear that you've had a good week! Long, long overdue!

    ReplyDelete