Monday, September 10, 2012

My first MRI

Today's adventure was my very first MRI. I don't remember much about it, because I read a little about what it is like and I decided that just for today, maybe taking a Xanax would be a good idea. You who read my posts know how much I don't like taking those pills, but rather than suffer claustrophobia, I decided one pill won't hurt.

So I went in my mismatched flannel jammies, with the green blanket and my bear. I wasn't allowed to take either of them in with me, so I left the bear on the counter in the room and they gave me a blanket of theirs. I lay down on the table and they put a bolster under my knees to make me comfy. Then they gave me earplugs, which I put in, and they started asking questions. Now, why do you give someone ear plugs and then question them? Anyhow... I told them which arm was okay to poke, lay back on the table and closed my eyes. I felt them put a strap on me. I felt two cushions moved onto my cheeks. I felt something move over my face. A nurse held my arm as they looked for a vein. That hurt. In fact, it hurt a lot. The table moved. There was a loud noise. The table seemed to vibrate. The noises changed sometimes. First a whirring, then a beeping, then a low pitch. The table moved again. I felt the nurses touching my arm. I remembered mumbling that maybe I should drink some water because that might help ( I don't know why I thought that would help, but who knows what goes through my drug addled brain. This is the woman who was mad because there were horses in the operating room and apparently I thought it was unsanitary) I opened my eyes and was looking through some sort of cage. I closed my eyes again. The nurse stopped poking my arm and poked my hand. It hurt. I whimpered. She rubbed my arm. I settled down. The table moved. The noise started again. Same as before. The table moved. I opened my eyes. All done.
I swear it took 10 minutes, but it was actually an hour. I slept through the MRI. 
This is what the MRI looks like. This is not me! I found this image on Google.

2 comments:

  1. I've never needed to scratch an itch more than when I'm laying in that tube.
    "Now DON'T MOVE!"
    Sure...for 45 minutes....

    Sooo, results?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not yet... but she was so chipper when she let me out of my Hannibal Lecter mask, I can only hope that means it was all good. Otherwise, she was one twisted woman to be so happy...

    ReplyDelete